The African Academy for Culture & Languages – TACALAN is one of the leading program educators within IBEC, a focus on culture, arts, music, dance and diverse segments of languages bringing together the education and cross-cultural learners of multiple age-groups. We provide training in local languages and foreign languages such as German, French, Italian, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese & Kiswahili, Amharic, Yoruba, Ausa, Igbo, Zulu, etc aid in the development and refinement of Language communication skills.
At the African Academy for Culture & Languages, we specialize in teaching and research in major world cultures and languages including African languages. We are one of the largest Academies of language instruction in Africa with professional academic staff. We are committed to the highest standards of teaching and research in languages, the cultures in which they are spoken, in linguistics and applied linguistics and in translating and interpreting.
We pursue these studies in the interests of scholarship, promoting understanding of languages other than English, and developing linguistic and intellectual skills relevant to students’ personal and professional goals.
In fulfilling this mission, we seek the following Objectives:
• Develop in our students’ proficiency in the language(s) of their specialization;
• An understanding of cultural diversity, and in particular a sound knowledge of the cultural context of the language(s) studied;
• Intercultural sensitivity, together with the perspectives and skills which promote intercultural communication;
• Capacity building for critical thinking, and the ability to articulate ideas and arguments.
• Consolidate our position as a center for excellence in research into cultures and languages within the faculty, university, and the wider national and international contexts.
• Enhance international perspectives and intercultural understanding throughout the university community.
• Actively promote the knowledge and study of cultures and languages in the wider community.
Our staff specialize in researching and teaching both the science and applied uses of language in the disciplines of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, as well as major world languages as they are used in context. We teach Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish, as well as Linguistics, and Applied Linguistics to students interested in the Arts, International Studies, the concurrent Diploma in Languages, Diploma of Arts, and dual programs.
IBECs’ The African Academy for Culture & Languages offers two postgraduate level programs in Translation and Interpreting; The Diploma in Arts in English Interpreting and Translation, and the Diploma in Arts in Kiswahili Interpreting and Translation. Students in these programs have access to one of the top interpreter training facilities in Africa, equipped with simultaneous interpreting booths constructed to United Nations standards. We also offer a Diploma of Applied Linguistics which offers study in the field of Applied Linguistics and Language Studies.
Across these disciplines, research areas are broad with particular strengths in language policy, communication across cultures, African Indigenous languages, translation and interpreting, and second language studies.
In addition, many of the Academy’s staff make significant contributions to the lecturer’s core research strengths of communication, media and cultural studies and traveling theatre and literary studies, adding an international dimension to this Academy.
Our linguists are world leaders, not only being part of a successful bid for a Centre of Excellence in Linguistics and African Cultural and heritage studies.
Apply Today to The African Academy for Culture & Languages for current Applications.